Advanced Credit Information
Advanced Placement (AP)
Entering freshmen students who have completed an honors course in high school and:
- Have taken and successfully passed the appropriate College Entrance Examination Board (CEEB) with a score of 3, 4 or 5 may be selected for advanced course work.
- Click on AP to display courses and AP scores accepted.
College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)
CLEP is the College-Level Examination Program, which offers you the opportunity to obtain credits toward your college degree requirements. CLEP offers two types of tests, General Exams and Subject Exams.
- SDSMT accepts and administers ONLY Subject Examinations.
What areas are offered? Several freshman courses, such as:
- American Government
- American History
- College Composition
- General Chemistry
- General Psychology
- Introductory Sociology
All can be challenged using the CLEP Subject Examinations.
If interested what do you do next?
- Request a registration form from the test center where you plan to take the test.
At SDSMT registration forms are required to be submitted thirty (30) days prior to the actual test date.
- Please remember SDSMT accepts ONLY SUBJECT EXAM SCORES.
- Tests will be given on campus throughout the year.
- CLEP Exams are scheduled individually.
- Exams are NOT administered between August 15 and September 20.
Click on CLEP to see scores and equivalent courses.
If you have questions regarding the CLEP Program, contact:
Ivanhoe International Center, South Dakota School of Mines and Technology
501 E. Saint Joseph St, Rapid City, SD 57701-3995
Phone Number: 605-394-6884 or toll-free 1-800-544-8162, Ext. 6884
International Baccalaureate (IB)
SDSMT recognizes the rigor of IB courses and the IB Diploma Program and encourages students to complete higher level courses and exams when ready.
- Students who complete higher level courses and exams and obtain a score of 5 or above will be considered for advanced placement credit in the corresponding course.
Click on IB to see scores and equivalent courses
If you have questions regarding AP or IB please contact:
Registrar and Academic Services
501 E. Saint Joseph St.
Rapid City, SD 57701
Phone: 605-394-2400 or toll-free 1-800-544-8162, Ext. 2400